Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Sober October?

 Sober October...

 ever heard of it? I'm familiar with Dry January, but a Sober October was news to me until I started seeing it popping up on my social media feeds.



Apparently the concept has been around for a few years; two publications that I follow have current articles on the subject - Delish  and Refinery29. This new-to-me information came close on the heels of articles about increased alcohol consumption during the pandemic. Everyone from the New York TimesChicago Tribune to the BBC were sounding alarms about many of us turning to drink to cope with the chaos and lockdowns during the last few months.

 Most of us don't have a problem, but some of us may have been using our confinement as an excuse to drink just a tad too much. Like Dry January, it's an opportunity to assess  and perhaps regain control of our drinking.

 

Enter Sober October

I learned that Macmillan Cancer Support out of Britain began this movement asking people to give up alcohol for the month to raise money for cancer research. Not a bad idea no? Since then other charities have hopped on the bandwagon with their own challenges and fundraisers. Novel idea, no?


A huge burgeoning Alcohol Free drink market. 

If you decide to do a Sober October you don't have to miss out. During my research I learned that the "AF" craft beer, wine and distilled spirits industries are exploding. There's so much more out there than O'Douls beer and Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cider. Major beer companies are offering AF versions of their products - Heineken 00, Coors, Bud & Pabst Blue Ribbon are just a few. I think Heineken00 tastes just like its boozy sister and guess what - 69 calories (2 Weight Watcher points).   Craft Beer companies are creating interesting recipes too. 

 

  


You may be like me...I'm not a huge drinker, but I love Chardonnay, G&Ts, and Margaritas and found myself having a drink almost every night.  But a few months ago I decided to give myself a break, and challenged myself to not drinking any alcohol for a month.  Wow, what a difference it made.

Here's what I found - I slept better 




No comments:

Post a Comment